In 2002 we completed more than 12 years of study and practice in methods of training, coaching and mentoring more than 3,500 small and medium business owners and managers to increase their profitability by focussing on improving their mangement skills.
Our study had enabled us to successfully identify the finite set of skills and the very manageable body of knowledge that were absolutely essential to sustainable – and that includes profitable – business management. We had then formulated that knowledge and those skills into a 1-year curriculum (more than 120 hours) of training and coaching designed to train competent (and, in their own turn) profitable business coaches who could effectively coach business clients to success.
Begining in 2002, those people who successfully demonstrated mastery of the body of business knowledge, and competence in the skills required to effectively coach business owners and managers to a higher level of management performance and profitability, were issued with the qualification of Business Improvement Specialist™ (or BIS).
Every ProfiTune BIS has attended one or more ProfiTune Business Improvement Academy, has satisfied the stringent academic requirements and performance standards of those Academies, and has demonstrated competence in coaching business clients to improved levels of performance.
BIS are licensed to use the trademark Business Improvement Specialist™, and are trained and accredited to use ProfiTune’s unique Business Improvement Systems when working with their business clients to improve their performance as managers, and the profits they generate.
What’s the difference between a BIS and a Coach?
Coaching someone without first clarifying their goals can be a bit like driving someone very quickly towards a destination that they may not like when they get there.
So, BIS invest time and processes on assisting their clients to clarify exactly what it is that they want to achieve from their business – and their life – before the BIS will consider what course of action may best accelerate their achievement of those goals.
Coaching someone who is working from unresourceful first principles, or who is using unsuccessful strategies or exhibiting ineffective behaviors in trying to achieve their goals is a bit like coaching a losing sportsman or woman to perfect their losing streak.
So, BIS use professional techniques to transform the way their clients think about their challenges, and guide them to seek and to find new solutions to old problems.
Coaching someone who lacks the skills or knowledge demanded by a certain challenge is a bit like coaching a sportsperson to perfect a wrong technique.
So, BIS provide training in the specific business and interpersonal skills and provide relevant and usable sources of the specific knowledge that their clients require to turn their challenges into their strengths and their victories.
Coaching someone who has the goals, has the mindset and has the knowledge and skills develops “performance” and it is performance that produces “results” – and it is results – profits – that we measure to determine the effectiveness of our goal setting, our transformative thinking, and our training with clients.
System & Structure
We recognized a long time ago, that we needed to develop a workable “disciplined structure” within which our clients could – and would – work with us, in order to counter the often-chaotic demands that are too often a feature of their daily working lives.
It is this disciplined structure that ensures a high probability of progress and success for each of our clients.
In a nutshell: A Business Improvement Specialist™ is trained to apply ProfiTune’s unique blend of Business Improvement Thinking, Systems, Knowledge and Skills to achieve an agreed goal quickly, safely and with a high degree of certainty – all within a disciplined structure that works!
So, are we “Coaches”?
No, we are Business Improvement Specialists™ – but one of the most enjoyable aspects of our work is Coaching our clients to performance and results.
Why Become a Business Improvement Specialist?
- Because the training you receive will assist you to become a more effective change agent for your clients, more quickly and with greater certainly than you will get if you attempted to ‘reinvent the wheel’ – to learn for yourself the lessons and skills contained within BIS training, and to develop and maintain for yourself the systems that are available for all BIS.
- Because the training you receive will assist you to make more money, in less time, with greater certainty than you would if you decided to try to replicate the business improvement tools that ProfiTune has spent years of time and millions of dollars developing.
- Because the support you receive from both ProfiTune and the BIS community – those who already operate successful business improvement practices – will nurture your development and success.
- Because you will have access to marketing, selling, coaching and practice management systems and support at a level and of a quality that you could not justify if you were to develop them for yourself alone.
Who Might Consider Becoming a Business Improvement Specialist?
Coaches, Mentors, Consultants, Advisors – some Accountants. In other words, business improvement professionals who suspect that there is a better way of doing what they are already doing.
If you are already one of these but you’re looking for the secret to turning the corner to become truly fantastically successful – both in the results you produce with and for your clients, and in the money you put in your bank (after all, it is embarrassing, isn’t it, if you’re out in the business world professing to teach other people to make more money, and you’re not walking your talk in your own business?) – then it’s probably a good time to download a Confidential Coach Application Form, complete it and then make contact with our training team.
Executives, managers, business owners. You’ve ‘been there, done that’ and the whole idea of kicking off a new career applying your knowledge and skills to help others, while setting your own hours and commanding decent fees, appeals to you:
If this is you then now would be a good time to pause and reflect on the following facts:
- This will be a life-changing full-time career switch (part-time coaches just never seem to make it)
- You will need new skills and knowledge, as well as access to structure and support tools in order to succeed. (You can build these for yourself, but most on that course fail; or you can purchase proven training and systems and avoid some very expensive mistakes).
- You will need working capital for your training and tools, and to meet living and business expenses over the time it takes to establish your practice (a matter of months for a BIS; a matter of years for some others)
- You will need credibility. You’re going to be selling an ‘intangible’ – the promise of improvement – and if you don’t look, sound and smell the part, you won’t get past first base.
- You will need to be exceptionally effective in coaching your clients to success if you hope to retain them over time, and gain new clients based on referrals.
- You are going to learn a lot – some of it fun, some of it not! – as you cover new territory. It could be a good idea to buy a map.
If you have a job and you like it, but are interested in learning business improvement skills not so that you can change jobs, but so that you can apply them in your current situation, you’ll find that in many instances, your BIS qualification has more practical application and clout than an MBA -which, by the way, would cost you considerably more to acquire.
If you have pondered on each of these, and still retain an interest and want to know more about becoming a BIS, then it’s time to talk to us.
If You Make Contact About Coaching, What Happens Next?
Our initial assessment process for new BIS is pretty simple: We’ll ask you to give us a little background information via aConfidential Coach Application Form; we’ll make a quick assessment of that, check your references and then contact you for a chat.
If at the end of that chat you wish to take the next step forward, we’ll give you download access to a comprehensiveFrequently Asked Questions document that should answer 90% or more of what you need to ask us.
If, after ploughing through the FAQ you think you have found what you are looking for, we’ll arrange an interview with a senior recruitment officer and start the process of mutual appraisal.
If we are both satisfied with the results of that process, you will select an Academy for your enrolment, factor the dates into your business plan, begin the routine of preparation for your training and accreditation, and start laying the groundwork for the marketing and practice-building activities that will gain you the clients whom you will need if you are to become a successful and profitable Business Improvement Specialist.
If You’d Like to Know More About Becoming a BIS
If you have at least 3 years of experience in the ownership and/or direct management of a business or business unit, and are interested in acquiring the knowledge, skills and systems that would enable you to turn that experience into a profitable professional Business Coaching practice, then please download and complete a Confidential Coach Application Form and send it to us.
We’ll respond with a comprehensive FAQ and answer any further questions that you may while evaluating this career opportunity.
A nice little (true) story
To download a Confidential Coach Application Form
In mid 2009 ProfiTune were issued with registration for the next step beyond BIS accreditation: We developed and had accredited Australia’s first Diploma of Busines Coaching. For more on the Diploma, please click here.