Coaching – What Is It?
A horse-drawn coach was once defined as “a vehicle for taking very esteemed people from where they are to where they want to be.”
We see ourselves as taking our business clients from where they are to where they want to be by coaching them to improve their management skills and performance and, thereby, their business outcomes – and profits. It is usually an abundance of profits that provide an abundance of options and freedom and quality of life for our clients so, while business is about more than just profits, profits are the enabler of whatever else rates as important with our clients.
We keep our eye on improving profits as a measure of the effectiveness and appropriateness of what we are doing with our Clients. If they are going up, we’re probably on the right track; but if they are going down, it’s time to re-evaluate the strategies and change direction.
- Owners and/or managers of small to medium businesses who have decision-making authority (Business Coaching)
- Executives of large corporations who have the authority to enact coaching session resolutions (Executive Coaching)
- Group coaching for individuals who share common or similar goals (eg executive teams, or franchisees) (Group or Team Coaching)
Here we work with the owner (or a manager with authority to enact coaching outcomes) one-on-one to facilitate improvements in their management skills. The process usually entails our:
- Clarifying our client’s goals both for ourselves and for them as they’ve often not applied disciplined thinking to determine just what it is that they want out of their business.
- Facilitating a change in their perception of or perspective on their business and personal challenges (what we sometimes term “transforming mindsets and motives”).
- Facilitating their acquisition of any new knowledge or skills required to move them swifty, safely and surely to their goals.
- Weekly or bi-monthly coaching sessions to improve their performance across their new skills and knowledge so that their results improve rapidly and substantially.
What If It Doesn’t Work For Me?
Firstly, we measure all prospective clients’ potential for improvement before making any offer of coaching. If there is not strong evidence that they will improve their profitability by a measure that is at least twice our fee, we will not make an offer of coaching in the first place.
Secondly, we monitor monetary progress from the beginning. If we don’t see quantifiable improvements within three months of commencement we may advise termination of the agreement. Why is that? Well, we are responsible to our clients for producing a bankable result and if that’s not happening for our Client it usually means that our Clients priorities have shifted and they are not playing their part in the Coaching. In an event such as that, after attempting to address the matter with our Client, and failing we are highly likely to withdraw from Coaching, cancelling any forward fees.
Third, we provide all Clients with the right to terminate any time after their fourth month of coaching if they feel they are not gaining value for money from the exercise (if that is the case, the Coach is likely to have recommended termination first).
What Do I Do Next?
If you are interested in knowing more about coaching, or you would like to assess your (or your business’s) suitability for it, we will arrange to carry out either a Free Diagnostic – or a Business Analysis – with you.
For more information on how to go about that, please contact us.